Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 1 of Life 2

OK, maybe Day 1 of Life 2 is a bit dramatic to describe my first day of blogging. It is a take on a quote from Nelson DeMille's "Spencerville" in which a Cold-War-era spy gets fired at the end of the Cold War and he is forced, just five years shy of a full pension, to begin a "new" life; the former spy drives out of Washington DC in his Saab 9000, declaring:

Today was day three of life two. Whoever said that there were no second acts in American lives had never worked for the government.
I never worked for the government and regrettably was never a spy. Rather, I was a certified public accountant (until a few months ago when I decided it really wasn't fun anymore). I spent years writing reams of tax accounting memos and other riveting works of nonfiction. It is definitely time for something new. I've always wanted to write for fun. Blogging should be fun and easy (right?). At any rate, it is a start to a new beginning and I look forward to discovering some of the many other bloggers out there.

I am vacationing with my family (husband and 9-year-old daughter) in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada. It was here in Whistler over the Christmas holiday that I got the real idea to start a blog. I promised myself I would get it started by the time we returned to Whistler for Spring Break. I also boldly announced this promise to my family, thereby obligating myself to really get it done.

So, it is now Spring Break and we are back in Whistler and it is thus from here that I make my first post. I hope to post everyday, even on vacation. (There I go again, publicly announcing my private intentions).

Soon I will explain the meaning of the title, "Where's Joe?" I have my family to thank for that one and it will take some creative explanation... In the meantime, let me just say that the question I have been thinking about today is "Why blog?" For me, it is the chance to meet new people in the blogoshpere, keep up with my real world friends who I don't see very often, and basically because I think everyone has something to say. If you happen upon this blog and
care to share your thoughts about why you blog, please do so.

2 comments:

  1. hi! what's up? Did YOU have fun skiing? I know I did. thats a good picture. bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I did have fun skiing - and who wouldn't? I liked the picture as a metaphor for a new day/beginning.

    ReplyDelete