Monday, May 11, 2009

Enjoy Springtime. Quickly. HURRY!

I heard it on the news Sunday morning, just as I was sitting down with the newspaper and a cup of Earl Grey tea: Triple digit weather is just around the corner!
How can that be? It doesn’t seem that long ago that I stopped going out without a sweater because it just wouldn’t warm up. Now all of a sudden, SUMMER is perched on the horizon, stoking its furnace, preparing to release its unrelenting heat on Las Vegas for the next few months.

I have to admit that May crept up on me and took me by surprise; in my mind it’s still April (I have yet to get a present for my Mom’s birthday which was on April 21st so no wonder I wish it was still April). But now I that I face reality and the May calendar, I do recall that mid-May generally is the time we see our first 100-degree-day each year. I shouldn’t be surprised by what’s coming, but I think we're all permitted to lament the passing of spring.

At our house, the first sign of spring appeared toward the end of January with the budding of the pear tree in our courtyard. In February, the plum trees fluffed out their pink blossoms.

In March, the buds on the pear tree burst into thousands of papery-white blooms which all too soon looked like yesterday's confetti on the courtyard floor.

The lilacs bloomed next, and now finally the oleander, star jasmine and gardenias are in bloom.







A couple of weekends ago, my husband decreed that it was time to take out last winter’s pansies which were beginning to languish in the then-80-degree-days. We selected some purple petunias and orange daisies as their replacements. My husband planted them, along with a few herbs that I snuck into our little red wagon at the nursery. Now our courtyard is full of color. Everything is colorful, fragrant and lush.

Since I will soon be trading my {hot} morning tea for {cold} Arnold Palmers, I want to savor some spring pleasures before they’re gone. These images are from our yard and neighborhood.

I want to be able to remember these moments in June and July, when it is 115-degrees outside, and remind myself that pleasant temperatures, delicate flowers and balmy breezes will once again return.

As is often true in life, now is the time to enjoy the present and not worry about the inevitable.









No comments:

Post a Comment